Marriage Registration in Thailand

Marriage registration in Thailand is a straightforward process for couples who follow the correct procedures. However, it can be confusing if the couple is not familiar with Thai law.

The first step in the process is for foreigners to get clearance from their embassies. This ensures that both parties are free to marry according to the laws of their respective countries.

Legalization of Affidavits

For couples that decide to marry in Thailand, the process is identical for both Thai citizens and foreigners. The couple will be required to register their marriage at the local district office, known as Amphur or Khet. Regardless of whether you are a Thai citizen or a foreigner, the process is relatively easy and is done on a walk-in basis. However, be aware that this does not guarantee that you will be able to return with your spouse to your home country.

For foreigners, the first step is to obtain a “affirmation of freedom to marry” from your respective embassy. This will need to be translated by a reputable translation company. Then, you will need to bring these documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. Upon verification, the documents will be legalized and you can proceed with the marriage registration. Once the marriage is registered, you will receive a Marriage Certificate which is valid globally.

Translation of Affidavits

When it comes to marriage registration in Thailand, foreigners may face language barriers that can delay the process. For this reason, affidavit translation services are indispensable. At BTIS, we provide precise and professional English to Thai translations of affidavits. This ensures that all documents are fully understood by the local authorities.

The first step in the marriage registration process in Thailand is to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry. This can be done by applying to your home country’s embassy in Bangkok. This will cost a small fee.

After you have received the affirmation, take it to a reputable translation service and have it translated into Thai. Next, you can submit the translated document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get it authenticated. You will then need to present both the authenticated affirmation and the translation when you file your marriage registration form. After the marriage is registered, you will receive a Marriage Certificate from the district office.

Submitting Affidavits to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Upon arriving in Thailand, all foreigners should be aware of the many legal implications and requirements that come with marriage. This is particularly important for those who wish to take their spouse back home with them as a permanent resident. The procedure for registering a Thai legal marriage is the same regardless of whether one is a Thai citizen or not.

The first step is for the couple to get an affirmation of freedom to marry from their embassy. This document is a letter from the embassy that certifies that both parties are free to marry. The document must be translated and legalized before it can be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is also required that the couple submit proof of their age and income. This is done at the local district office, known as a ‘khet’ office in Bangkok or an ’amphur’ office outside of Bangkok. This is a standard requirement for all couples getting married in Thailand.

Submitting Affidavits to the Local District Office

A marriage in Thailand is a legal process that involves the couple registering their union at their local Amphur (Thai district office, similar to a county office). Couples should be of legal age (17 years old) upon filing for their wedding registration, or they must have permission from their parents. Affidavits are required to prove this.

Once the Affidavit of Freedom to Marry has been authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it is submitted to the local Amphur or Khet responsible for marriage registrations. The local registrar will verify the document and issue the Marriage Certificate, which is valid in Thailand and all over the world.

It is advisable to have your documents legally translated into Thai by a reputable law firm before submitting them to the local authorities. The translated documents will help the local registrar to understand and verify your documentation more effectively. The translated affidavits will also protect your interests and assets in the event of a divorce or death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *